Healthy ideas to fight heart disease.
People with heart disease (coronary artery disease, angina, heart failure) should pay special attention to their diet.
Dr. Kalitenko’s suggestions:
- Increase your intake of cold-water fish, as long as it’s not contaminated with mercury or other toxins.
- Eat more plant foods.
- Use extra virgin olive oil, preferably organic, and eat nuts and seeds, to help increase protection of your heart and blood vessels.
- Eat more carotene-rich fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes, garlic and leafy green vegetables.
- Red wine, which has antioxidants, may be consumed in moderation if there are no contraindications.
- AVOID red meats, hot dogs, ice cream, cakes, cookies, caffeine, salt, fried foods, sugary snacks and drinks, refined cereals, white bread, saturated fats and refined carbohydrates—in other words, cut out the processed foods.
- DO NOT eat large meals, because they can cause plaque rupture and heart attack.
Call for an appointment now
(516) 467 0253
(718) 382 9200